Staten Island Community 1
NEIGHBORHOODS: Arrochar, Castleton Corners, Clifton, Clove Lakes, Elm Park, Fort Wadsworth, Graniteville, New Brighton, Old Town, Port Richmond, Randall Manor, St. George, Shore Acres, Silver Lake, Stapleton, Sunnyside, Tompkinsville, West Brighton, Westerleigh.
Welcome to Staten Island Community 1. You will find information on Schools, Dining and Shopping, Parks and Recreation and of course Homes for Sale on the North shore. You will also have an opportunity to understand the many attractions that make the North Shore of Staten Island so wonderful.
Take a spiritual journey by reflecting at Mount Maresa with a sensei or strolling through the Chinese Scholars Garden alone.
If action is what you seek, you can hit the ice at the War Memorial Rink or shoot hoops on the pier in Cromwell Center.
Are you a sports fan? Have tea at Walker Park while playing cricket or Root, Root, Root for the home team at Staten Island Yankee Stadium overlooking New York Harbor.
Learn about history by visiting the Garibaldi-Meucci Museum to find out who really invented the phone or head down to the Alice Austen House to view the works of one of America’s first female photographers. Share The Smithsonian Collections at Snug Harbor. Learn about the history of New York Harbor at the John Noble Museum. Learn all you ever wanted to know about every creature that ever lived on Staten Island at the Staten Island Institute of Arts and Sciences.
If you are the outdoor type, you can fish along the North Shore Esplanade or at Private Buono Beach, watch Peregrine falcons at Allison Pond, or herons and deer on Shooters Island. Take a paddle boat around Clove Lakes or a kayak into the harbor from Mariner’s Marsh.
Are you a history buff? Then visit the birthplace of the Coast Guard at the National Lighthouse Museum or learn about early New York history by viewing the Murals at Staten Island Borough Hall.
If art is your bag, then immerse yourself in a masterpiece of American Folk Art at the Shrine of Our Lady of Mount Carmel. Catch a film at the St. George Film Festival, or a live concert at the St. George Theater.
Get in touch with your inner child at the Staten Island Children’s Museum or feed a llama at the Staten Island Zoo.
For the seafarer in you, simply take a ride on the Staten Island Ferry.
There are a million stories in the naked city; make a story of your own right here on the North Shore of Staten Island.
HOMES FOR SALE
Arrochar (/ˈɑroʊkɑr/ ar-oh-kar) is a neighborhood in northeastern Staten Island in New York City in the United States. It is located directly inland of Fort Wadsworthand South Beach, on the east side of Hylan Boulevard south of the Staten Island Expressway; the community of Grasmere borders it on the west. It is today primarily a neighborhood of one- and two-family homes and small businesses.
Castleton Corners (or Four Corners) is an upscale neighborhood of Staten Island, one of the five boroughs ofNew York City. It is in a region of the island often referred as the North Shore, Staten Island.
Clifton is a neighborhood on the North Shore of Staten Island in New York City, United States. It is an older waterfront neighborhood, facing Upper New York Bay on the east. It is bordered on the north by Stapleton, on the south by Rosebank, on the southwest by Concord, and on the west by Van Duzer Street.
Clove Lakes: Clove Lakes Park is a public park located in the New York City borough of Staten Island, in the neighborhood of Sunnyside. With valuable ecological assets, Clove Lakes Park has a rich natural history and a few remnants of the past.
Elm Park is the name of a small park in the Port Richmond section of Staten Island, one of the five boroughs of New York City, USA. The park is located across Innis Street from Port Richmond High School. The name “Elm Park” is sometimes used to denote the area from its namesake westward for several blocks, lending its name to the former Elm Park Station on the North Shore Branch of the Staten Island Railway. The station was situated directly beneath Morningstar Road. Passenger service on this branch of the railway was halted in 1953; a dilapidated remnant of the station’s platform still exists, but the stairways leading to the street have been removed.
Fort Wadsworth is a former United States military installation on Staten Island in New York City, situated onThe Narrows which divide New York Bay into Upper and Lower halves, a natural point for defense of the Upper Bay and Manhattan beyond. Prior to closing in 1994 it claimed to be the longest continually manned military installation in the United States. Fort Wadsworth is now part of the Staten Island Unit of Gateway National Recreation Area, maintained by the National Park Service.
Graniteville, was originally named Bennett’s Corners and Fayetteville. Quarries for trap rock were operated in the area from 1841 to 1896, leading to the community’s name being changed first to Granite Village, then Graniteville. Largely rural well into the 20th century, Graniteville was the scene of a notable fire in March 1942, when an explosion at the Consolidated Fireworks Company on Richmond Avenue claimed the lives of five employees. Residential development in the area burgeoned soon after the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge opened in November 1964, and today Graniteville stands at the north end of a busy commercial strip along Richmond Avenue; this strip, which extends to the vicinity of the Staten Island Mall approximately 4 miles (6 km) away, is the scene of some of the heaviest automotive traffic on Staten Island.
New Brighton, formerly an independent village, is today a neighborhood located on the North Shore of Staten Island in New York City, USA. The neighborhood comprises an older industrial and residential harbor front area along the Kill Van Kull west of St. George. The village of New Brighton was incorporated in 1866 out of six wards of the town of Castleton. It originally stretched for four miles (6.4 km) long and was two miles (3.2 km) wide, encompassing the entire northeast tip of the island from Tompkinsvilleto Snug Harbor. The current neighborhood includes Hamilton Park, an enclave of Victorian homes built before the American Civil War. The neighborhood includes several older churches, including St. Peter’s Church, the oldest Roman Catholicchurch on Staten Island. The original Village Hall, constructed in 1871 on present Fillmore Street, was demolished in 2004. New Brighton public housing includes the Cassidy-Laffayette Houses and the Richmond Terrace Houses on Jersey Street.
Old Town is a neighborhood in the New York City borough of Staten Island, located on its East Shore. Old Town was established in August 1661 as part of New Netherland, and was the first permanent European settlement on Staten Island.Originally described as “Oude Dorpe” (old village in Dutch), much of its original territory makes up what is present-day South Beach, with parts of Midland Beach and Dongan Hills. The area was settled by a group of Dutch, Walloon (from what is now southern Belgium and its borders with France) and French Protestants (Huguenots) led by Walloon Pierre Billiou. Staten Island Railway’s Old Town Powerhouse at 145 Tacoma Street and North Railroad Avenue. This structure, built in the 1980s, replaced an earlier structure that had been destroyed by fire. Present-day Old Town is typically described as the neighborhood bordered by Grasmere to the north, Dongan Hills to the south, South Beach to the east, and Concord to the west. The neighborhood is served by the Old Town station of the Staten Island Railway. The neighborhood is also served by the S78 and S79 buses on Hylan Boulevard and the S74 and S76 buses on Richmond Road, and the X1, X2, X3, and X9 express buses.
Port Richmond is a neighborhood situated on the North Shore of Staten Island, a borough of New York City. It is along the waterfront of the Kill Van Kull, with the southern terminus of the Bayonne Bridge serving as the boundary between it and Elm Park, the neighborhood which borders it on the west. Formerly an independent village, it is one of the oldest neighborhoods on the island. In the 19th century it was an important transportation and industrial center of the island, but this role has vanished nearly completely, leaving a largely blue collar residential area bypassed by the shift of development of the island to its interior after the 1960s. The formerly bustling commercial center along Richmond Avenue (now Port Richmond Avenue) had been largely abandoned at the time, But in recent years many small businesses have opened in the area with the commercial activity shifting inland to Forest Avenue(or leaving the neighborhood altogether and relocating to the Staten Island Mall when the latter opened in the summer of 1973).
Randall Manor is a neighborhood on the North Shore of Staten Island, one of the five boroughs of New York City, USA. The neighborhood is bound by Bard Avenue in the West, Henderson Avenue to the North and Forest Avenue to the South. Named after Captain Robert Richard Randall, the founder of Sailors Snug Harbor, the neighborhood lies immediately to the south of the latter, between New Brighton and West Brighton.
St. George is a neighborhood on the northeastern tip of Staten Island in New York City, where the Kill Van Kull enters Upper New York Bay. It is the most densely developed neighborhood on Staten Island, and the location of the administrative center for the borough and for the coterminous Richmond County. The Staten Island terminal of the Staten Island Ferry is located here, as well as the northern terminus of the Staten Island Railway. St. George is bordered on the south by the neighborhood of Tompkinsville and on the west by the neighborhood of New Brighton.
Shore Acres is a neighborhood of Staten Island, one of the five boroughs of New York City. It is situated along the Upper New York Bay, just north of Fort Wadsworth and south of Rosebank. Shore Acres is generally considered to be bounded by Bay Street on the west, the Upper New York Bay on the east, Nautilus Street on the north, and Arthur Von Briesen Park on the south.
Silver Lake Park has many attractions, such as tennis courts, an 18-hole public golf course, a baseball field, play area, and dog run. The neighborhood to the east and south features several large privately owned apartment buildings and three cemeteries along Victory Boulevard. Also included is the neighborhood on the other side of the adjacent Silver Lake golf course, a series of mostly dead-end streets located above Forest Avenue. At the top of Hart Boulevard are the Silver Lake Tennis Courts. To the west of this neighborhood are Grymes Hill and Sunnyside, where the Mid-Island region is said to begin (the Silver Lake section being reckoned as part of the North Shore).
Stapleton is a neighborhood in northeastern Staten Island in New York City in the United States. It is located along the waterfront of Upper New York Bay, roughly bounded on the north by Tompkinsville at Grant Street, on the south by Clifton at Vanderbilt Avenue, and on the west by St. Paul’s Avenue and Van Duzer Street, which form the border with the community of Grymes Hill. Stapleton is one of the older waterfront neighborhoods of the borough, built in the 1830s on land once owned by the Vanderbilt family. It was a long-time commercial center of the island, but has struggled to revive after several decades of neglect following the building in 1964 of the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge, which shifted the commercial development of the island to its interior.
Sunnyside is the name of a neighborhood in the Mid-Island region of the New York City borough of Staten Island. Two large city parks—Silver Lake Park and Clove Lakes Park—form the eastern and western boundaries, respectively, of Sunnyside, which is named for a boarding house that was established there in 1889; the vicinity had previously been known as Clovenia, owing to its location in what was then referred to as the Clove Valley, whose name survives in Clove Road, which runs from West Brighton to Grasmere, and is one of the neighborhood’s principal thoroughfares. Clove Road forms the northern boundary of Sunnyside, separating it from the community of Grymes Hill.
Tompkinsville is a neighborhood in northeastern Staten Island in New York City in the United States. Though the neighborhood sits on the island’s eastern shore, along the waterfront facing Upper New York Bay — between St. George on the north and Stapleton on the south — it is reckoned as being part of the North Shoreby the island’s residents. View homes for sale Tompkinsville
West Brighton Originally known as “Factoryville,” Islanders now commonly refer to the area as West Brighton. Some parts of the neighborhood closer to the shoreline are referred to as “Livingston” and or “Randall Manor”. This area of Staten Island was originally settled by the Dutch in the 1600s, who were then followed by English settlers. During the American Revolution residents of West Brighton overtly remained loyal to the Crown. Successive waves of immigrants to the US then led to the area becoming populated by the Irish, followed by Italians. Today, the neighborhood consists mostly of Irish, Germans, African Americans, and Hispanics.
Westerleigh first attracted notice when a temperance group, the National Prohibition Campground Association, bought 25 acres (10 ha) of land there in 1877, and named the property Prohibition Park — noted chiefly today for the fact that the official climate records for Staten Island are compiled at the site. Many of the local streets are named after early leaders of the Prohibition movement (Neal Dow, Clinton B. Fisk), or for states that supported anti-liquor laws (such as Maine andOhio). Some of Westerleigh’s earliest residents excelled in letters, including Isaac K. Funk, co-founder of Funk and Wagnalls, and poet Edwin Markham. Heiress Amy Vanderbilt also once lived there, as does minor b-movie actor Brian “the Duke” Crimmins. The neighborhood gained much local attention for the abundance of patriotic decorations festooned on its homes in the aftermath of the September 11, 2001 attacks.
Dining and Shopping
Perfect area for commuting. Minutes to Verrazano Bridge, Staten Island Ferry, and express buses